Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm clean as a whistle, baby



OurManInChicago and EJShea.com are off to the Liz Phair 15th anniversary of "Exile in Guyville" concert in Chicago evidently.

I am jealous. I remember hearing this CD... very end of high school. It was dark, and the sound had a lot of... space in it. This was really private, "attic" music. I know I've listened to it 1,000 times. I almost always listen to it straight through, from the bad Memorex tape copy I made in 1993 (I probably played "Flower" a lot) to the CD I bought to replace it in college.

I got her later albums. While "Whitechocolatespaceegg" is my runner up for second favorite, Liz Phair gets a lot of guff for "Selling Out." This older music is just as clean and hooky as the later stuff, it's just that the newer stuff is... shinier, brighter. You age 15 years, you have a kid, marry and divorce - you change. Lay off Liz. Different albums, different phases.

I just hope they get me a concert T-shirt.

1 comment:

  1. There were no shirts!

    Also, very little reason to have made the trip from OH:

    http://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog/out-and-about/?p=4661

    ReplyDelete