Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Why I'm a little worried

A co-worker of mine moonlights as a sports announcer doing color commentary for local high school football games and the like (he's very good). Earlier today he was working on lists of descriptive words for games, like "Clash" and "toe to toe" and commented that the Bengals were coming home from lame games they lost, which their own announcers would describe as "Titanic."

I said "The Bengals aren't in a 'Titanic' struggle. A 'Lusitanian' one, maybe..."

He didn't get it.

Yes, I know it's an oblique reference and I don't care. If a 27 year old man has never heard of the Lusitania I think I'm free to fret a little about the state of American education.*

*This is not unlike when I went to the "Sex and the City" movie and in a fully packed theatre was the only person to get the Diane Arbus joke.

On second thought, maybe I'm just over-educated...

No comments:

Post a Comment